Friday, January 20, 2012

Day 20

It's my dad's birthday today. Happy Birthday, Papa!
A little about my dad:

He sings opera when he makes his famous dinner rolls. (Anytime rolls.)

He loves chocolate. Especially good-quality chocolate.

He and my mom have been married for four decades.

Sometimes at the dinner table, he'd look at us five girls and say, "Yep, I'm a rich man. Rich in daughters. So blessed."

His typical response to "How are you?" is "Blessed."

He was in the Army for loooonnng time and retired a Colonel. Now he is an adjunct professor at BYU, and he loves it.

He loves to brag about my mom, and we love to listen.

He taught us girls fantastically-debilitating self-defense, or, in shorthand, how to "fight like a lion".

He called me from an airport once to tell me that Brown-Eyed Girl was on, and that it made him think of me.

2 comments:

  1. <3

    I grew up convinced that I was Papa's favorite daughter...while at the same time understanding that we were each his favorite daughter.

    That has greatly shaped my relationship with Heavenly Father, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your dad, Rae. This post brought tears to my eyes. I love it. It is such a blessing to have a wonderful dad, especially in these days. I'm so glad you're grateful for yours.

    ReplyDelete